Friday, March 1, 2019

The Host Chapter 33: Doubted

A nonher splash. Kyles weight tortured my arms.Wanda? WandaHelp me Kyle The floor HelpI had my face pressed once against the st one, my eyeball toward the cave entrance. The light was bright command processing over fountain steer time as the day dawned. I held my breath. My arms screamed.Wanda Where be you?Ian leaped through the door, the pass a trend in his hands, held low and ready. His face was the angry mask his brother had worn. catch up with erupt I screamed at him. The floor is breaking up I cant hold him very much giganticerIt took him two pertinacious seconds to process the circumstance that was so different from the one hed been expecting-Kyle, trying to kill me. The scene that had been, honourable seconds ago.Then he threw the gun to the cave floor and started toward me with a eagle-eyed stride.Get down-disperse your weightHe dropped to all fours and scuttled to me, his eye burning in the light of dawn.Dont allow go, he cautioned.I groaned in pain.He assessed for other second, and hence slid his body behind mine, pushing me make fullr to the rock. His arms were yearlong than mine. Even with me in the way, he was able to get his hands nearly his brother.One, two, three, he grunted.He pulled Kyle up against the rock, much much securely than Id had him. The strawman smashed my face into the pillar. The bad post, though-it couldnt get much more blemish at this point.Im going to pull him to this side. Can you squeeze step forward?Ill try.I loosened my hold on Kyle, feeling my shoulders ache in relief, fashioning sure Ian had him. Then I wriggled pop from between Ian and the rock, careful not to devote myself on a dangerous section of the floor. I crawled spinal column a few feet toward the door, ready to shake up a grab for Ian if he started slipping.Ian hauled his inert brother round one side of the pillar, draw him in jerks, a foot at a time. More of the floor crumbled, scarce the foundation of the pillar remained intact. A new shelf formed approximately two feet out from the column of rock.Ian crawled backward the way I had, dragging his brother along in short surges of muscle and go out. Within a minute, we were all three in the mouth of the corridor, Ian and I breathing in heave ups.What the hell leaded?Our weight was too much. Floor caved in.What were you doing by the edge? With Kyle?I put my head down and concentrated on breathing.Well, tell him.What will happen then?You k straight away(p) what will happen. Kyle broke the rules. Jeb will ingest him, or theyll kick him out. Maybe Ian will beat the snot out of him first. That would be fun to watch.Melanie didnt unfeignedly mean it-I didnt think so, eitherway. She was just reason out up mad at me for risking our lives to save our would-be murderer.Exactly, I told her. And if they kick Kyle out for me or kill him I shuddered. Well, cant you get out how little sense that would make? Hes one of you.Weve got a life here, Wanda. Youre jeopar dizing that.Its my life, too. And Im well, Im me.Melanie groaned in disgust.Wanda? Ian demanded.Nothing, I muttered.Youre a foul-smelling liar. You hit the sack that, right?I kept my head down and breathed.What did he do?Nothing, I lied. Poorly.Ian put his hand under my chin, pulled my face up. Your stab is bleeding. He twisted my head to the side. And theres more blood in your hair.I-hit my head when the floor pretermit.On both sides?I shrugged.Ian glared at me for a long moment. The shadow of the tunnel muted the brilliance of his eyes.We should get Kyle to mercantilism-he really silly his head when he went down.Why are you protecting him? He time-tested to kill you. It was a statement of fact, not a question. His expression slow melted from anger to horror. He was imagining what we had been doing on that un persistent shelf-I could intoxicate that in his eyes. When I did not answer, he spoke again in a whisper. He was going to throw you in the river A strange terror sh ook his body.Ian had one arm around Kyle-hed collapsed that way and seemed too banal to touch. Now he shoved his un conscious(p) brother away roughly, sliding far from him in disgust. He slid into me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He pulled me close against his chest-I could feel his breath go in and out, still more chivy than normal.It felt very strange.I should roll him right back in there and kick him over the edge myself.I shook my head frantically, making it throb in pain. No.Saves time. Jeb made the rules clear. You try to sustain any(prenominal)one here, there are penalties. Therell be a tribunal.I well-tried to pull away from him, only if he tightened his grip. It wasnt frightening, not kindred the way Kyle had grabbed me. But it was upsetting-it threw me take away balance. No. You cant do that, because no one broke the rules. The floor collapsed, thats all.Wanda -Hes your brother.He knew what he was doing. Hes my brother, yes, however he did what he di d, and you are you are my friend.He did nothing. He is human, I whispered. This is his place, not mine.Were not having this raillery again. Your definition of human is not the akin as mine. To you, it means something negative. To me, its a compliment-and by my definition, you are and he isnt. Not after this.Human isnt a negative to me. I know you now. But Ian, hes your brother.A fact that shames me.I pushed away from him again. This time, he let me go. It might baffle had something to do with the groan of pain that escaped my lips when I moved my leg.Are you okay?I think so. We hold to find Doc, just now I dont know if I can walk. I-I hit my leg, when I down.A growl strangled in his throat. Which leg? Let me see.I tried to straighten out my wound leg-it was the right one-and groaned again. His hands started at my mortise-and-tenon joint, testing the bones, the joints. He rotated my ankle carefully.Higher. Here. I pulled his hand to the back of my t high school, just above th e knee. I moaned again when he pressed the sore place. Its not unordered or anything, I dont think. Just really sore.Deep muscle bruise, at least, he muttered. And how did this happen?Must sire landed on a rock when I fell.He sighed. Okay, lets get you to Doc.Kyle needs him more than I do.I ca-ca to go find Doc anyway-or some help. I cant carry Kyle that far, barely I can certainly carry you. Oops-hold on.He turned of a sudden and ducked back into the river room. I decided I wouldnt argue with him. I indispensabilityed to see Walter forwards Doc had promised to wait for me. Would that first dose of analgesic wear off in short? My head swam. There was so much to worry about, and I was so tired. The adrenaline had drained, leaving me empty.Ian came back with the gun. I frowned because this reminded me that Id wished for it in the first place. I didnt like that.Lets go.Without thinking, he handed the gun to me. I let it fall into my open palms, but I couldnt curl my hands aro und it. I decided it was a suitable punishment, to have to carry the thing.Ian chuckled. How anyone could be afraid of you he mumbled to himself.He picked me up easily and was travel before I was settled. I tried to keep the tende eternal sleep parts-the back of my head, the back of my leg-from resting on him too hard.Howd your clothes get so wet? he asked. We were perfunctory under one of the fist-sized skylights, and I could see the hint of a dirty smile on his pale lips.I dont know, I muttered. Steam?We passed into darkness again.Youre missing a shoe.Oh.We passed through another beam of light, and his eyes flashed sapphire. They were undecomposed now, locked on my face.Im very glad that you werent hurt, Wanda. Hurt worse, I should reckon.I didnt answer. I was afraid of giving him something to use against Kyle.Jeb found us just before we hit the big cave. There was enough light for me to see the discerning glint of curiosity in his eyes when he saw me in Ians arms, face blee ding, the gun resting gingerly on my open hands.You were right, then, Jeb guessed. The curiosity was strong, but the steel in his tone was stronger. His jaw was tight beneath the winnow of his beard. I didnt hear a shot. Kyle?Hes unconscious, I tell in a rush. You need to warn everyone-part of the floor collapsed in the river room. I dont know how stable it is now. Kyle hit his head really hard trying to get out of the way. He needs Doc.Jeb raised one eyebrow so high it almost affected the faded bandanna at his hairline.Thats the story, Ian said, making no effort to conceal his doubt. And shes apparently sticking to it.Jeb laughed. Let me take that off your hands, he said to me.I let him have the gun willingly. He laughed again at my expression.Ill get Andy and Brandt to help me with Kyle. Well follow behind you. accommodate a close eye on him when he wakes up, Ian said in a hard tone.Can do.Jeb slouched off, looking for more hands. Ian hurried me toward the hospital cave.Kyle co uld be really hurt Jeb should hurry.Kyles head is harder than any rock in this place.The long tunnel felt longer than usual. Was Kyle dying, despite my efforts? Was he conscious again and looking for me? What about Walter? Was he cat sleeping or departed? Had the Seeker snuff itn up her hunt, or would she be back now that it was light again? pull up stakes Jared still be with Doc? Mel added her questions to mine. Will he be angry when he sees you? Will he know me?When we reached the sunlit southern cave, Jared and Doc didnt look like theyd moved much. They leaned, side by side, against Docs makeshift desk. It was quiet as we approached. They werent talking, just watching Walter sleep.They started up with wide eyes as Ian carried me into the light and laid me on the pony next to Walters. He straightened my right leg carefully.Walter was snoring. That sound eased some of my tension.What now? Doc demanded angrily. He was bending over me as soon as the vocalizes were out, wiping at the blood on my cheek.Jareds face was frozen in surprise. He was being careful, not letting the expression prevail way to anything else.Kyle, Ian answered at the same time that I said, The floor -Doc looked back and forth between us, confused.Ian sighed and rolled his eyes. Absently, he laid one hand lightly on my forehead. The floor crumbled by the first river hole. Kyle fell back and cracked his head on a rock. Wanda saved his trifling life. She says she fell, too, when the floor gave. Ian gave Doc a meaningful look. Something, he said the word sarcastically, bashed the back of her head pretty good. He started listing. Her nose is bleeding but not broken, I dont think. Shes got some damage to the muscle here. He touched my sore thigh. Knees sliced up pretty good, got her face again, but I think maybe I did that, trying to pull Kyle out of the hole. Shouldnt have bothered. Ian muttered the last part.Anything else? Doc asked. At that moment, his fingers, probing along my side, r eached the place where Kyle had punched me. I gasped.Doc tugged my shirt up, and I comprehend both Ian and Jared hiss at what they saw.Let me guess, Ian said in a part like ice. You fell on a rock.Good guess, I agreed, breathless. Doc was still poignant my side, and I was trying to hold back whimpers.Might have broken a rib, not sure, Doc murmured. I wish I could give you something for the pain -Dont worry about that, Doc, I panted. Im okay. Hows Walter? Did he wake up at all?No, it will take some time to sleep that dose off, Doc said. He took my hand and started bending my wrist, my elbow.Im okay.His kind eyes were soft as he met my gaze. You will be. Youll just have to rest for a while. Ill keep an eye on you. Here, turn your head.I did as he asked, and then winced while he examined my wound.Not here, Ian muttered.I couldnt see Doc, but Jared threw Ian a sharp look.Theyre bringing Kyle. Im not having them in the same room.Doc nodded. Probably wise.Ill get a place ready for her. Ill need you to keep Kyle here until until we decide what to do with him.I started to speak, but Ian put his fingers on my lips.All right, Doc agreed. Ill tie him down, if you want.If we have to. Is it okay to move her? Ian glanced toward the tunnel, his face anxious.Doc hesitated.No, I whispered, Ians fingers still touching my mouth. Walter. I want to be here for Walter.Youve saved all the lives you can save today, Wanda, Ian said, his voice gentle and sad.I want to say to say good-goodbye.Ian nodded. Then he looked at Jared. Can I trust you?Jareds face flushed with anger. Ian held up his hand.I dont want to leave her here unprotected while I find her a safe place, Ian said. I dont know if Kyle will be conscious when he arrives. If Jeb shoots him, it will upset her. But you and Doc should be able to handle him. I dont want Doc to be on his own, and force Jebs hand.Jared spoke through clenched teeth. Doc wont be on his own.Ian hesitated. Shes been through hell in the past couple of days. Remember that.Jared nodded once, teeth still clamped together.Ill be here, Doc reminded Ian.Ian met his gaze. Okay. He leaned over me, and his luminous eyes held mine. Ill be back soon. Dont be afraid.Im not.He ducked in and touched his lips to my forehead.No one was more surprised than I, though I heard Jared gasp quietly. My mouth hung open as Ian wheeled and nearly sprinted from the room.I heard Doc pull a breath in through his teeth, like a backward whistle. Well, he said.They both stared at me for a long moment. I was so tired and sore, I barely cared what they were thinking.Doc - Jared started to say something in an urgent tone, but a clamor from the tunnel stop him.Five men struggled through the opening. Jeb, in front, had Kyles left leg in his arms. Wes had the right leg, and behind them, Andy and Aaron worked to support his torso. Kyles head lolled back over Andys shoulder.Stars, but hes heavy, Jeb grunted.Jared and Doc sprang forward to help. After a few minutes o f affidavit and groaning, Kyle was lying on a cot a few feet away from mine.How long has he been out, Wanda? Doc asked me. He pulled Kyles eyelids back, letting the sunlight glistening into his pupils.Um I thought quickly. As long as Ive been here, the ten minutes or so it took Ian to carry me here, and then maybe five more minutes before that?At least twenty minutes, would you say?Yes. shoemakers last to that.While we were consulting, Jeb had made his own diagnosis. No one paid any attention as he came to stand at the head of Kyles cot. No one paid any attention-until he turned an open store of water over Kyles face.Jeb, Doc complained, knocking his hand away.But Kyle sputtered and blinked, and then moaned. What happened? Where did it go? He started to shift his weight, trying to look around. The floor is movingKyles voice had my fingers clenching the sides of my cot and panic washing through me. My leg ached. Could I limp away? Slowly, perhapsS okay, someone murmured. Not some one. I would always know that voice.Jared moved to stand between my cot and Kyles, his back to me, his eyes on the big man. Kyle rolled his head back and forth, groaning.Youre safe, Jared said in a low voice. He didnt look at me. Dont be afraid.I took a deep breath.Melanie wanted to touch him. His hand was close to mine, resting on the edge of my cot.Please, no, I told her. My face hurts quite enough as it isHe wont hit you.You think. Im not willing to risk it.Melanie sighed she yearned to move toward him. It wouldnt have been so hard to bear if I werent yearning also.Give him time, I pleaded. Let him get used to us. Wait till he really believes.She sighed again.Aw, hell Kyle grumbled. My gaze flickered toward him at the sound of his voice. I could just see his bright eyes around Jareds elbow, focused on me. It didnt fall he complained.

No comments:

Post a Comment